1. The original idea was to complete Sholay in six months but it actually took two and a half years to complete the film.
2. The character of Gabbar Singh was inspired by real life 'Gabbar Singh' who was a real 'Daaku' near Gwalior in 1950, who cut off a police officer's ears and nose as a warning to other policemen.
3. Britannia did a commercial for their biscuits post the success of Sholay with Amjad Khan as Gabbar Singh. This was the first time in India wherein a villain was used in an advertisement.
4. Both the Bachchan children were born around the shooting of Sholay. Jaya Bachchan gave birth to their daughter 'Shweta Bachchan' in 1974 and 'Abhishek Bachchan' 1975 a few months before the release.
5. Dharmendra used to bribe the light men so that he got more retakes with Hema Malini to woo her. It is during this time that she fell for him.
6. The unit of Sholay had a 10 to 15 day schedule every month from 1973 to May 1974 in Ramanagra near Bangalore where the film was shot. Samba played by Mac Mohan who had a small role in the film travelled 27 times from Mumbai to Bangalore during the course of the shoot.
7. The first scene to be shot was Amitabh Bachchan giving Jaya Bhaduri the keys. The last scene to be shot was the one in which Thakur meets Jai & Veeru to give them the job.
8. The original climax of the film had Thakur killing Gabbar which was changed to police capturing him due to the Censor board objection.
9. When Doordarshan aired Sholay on TV for the first time, it received the highest number of viewers ever at the period.
10. Although it was the biggest hit of that year Sholay got only one Filmfare Award and that was for editing!
Click here to Rate and Review the movie now:- http://clapsnslaps.com/movies/view/Sholay_3D