Iqbal released in 2005, and immediately became a cult classic. The story of a deaf and mute boy who goes on to represent India in cricket, moved many people. It inspired a whole new breed of sportspersons, who were willing to rise above their disabilities, and convert them into success stories. We are going to tell you five such heart warming stories.
1) Girish N. Gowda- This lad from Karnataka, was born with a disability in his left leg. By his own admission, his parents were ashamed of him. But all of that changed in 2012, when he won the silver medal in high jump F-42 event, in the London Paralympics. His parents, needless to say, are now proud of their son. And should every parent in the world, as every child is special.
2) Rajinder Singh Rahelu- If you don't know about this gentleman from Jalandhar, you need to read the papers more thoroughly. He won silver in weightlifting 56 kg category in the recently concluded 2014 Commonwealth Games. He doesn't only compete with so called 'able-bodied' people, he beats them at their own game. Salute to you, sir!
3) Deepa Malik- She is better known for her appearances in the adventure reality show 'Roadies', rather than her achievements in sports; which is a pity considering she has excelled in multiple sports. She is a paraplegic, but that hasn't stopped her from setting records in swimming, or riding a mountain bike. She has even won bronze in javelin throw, at the Paralympics!
4) Girish Sharma- He moves faster on the badminton court than people with two legs. It is his passion for the game that has driven Girish to perform at the level he regularly performs. However, he feels he, and other special sportspersons, need a greater support from the Government.
5) Major Devender Pal Singh- The 'Indian Blade Runner' was a marathon runner even when he had both his legs intact. But he lost one leg, fighting for our country, during the Kargil war of 1999. But that didn't deter him from continuing to run, even with a prosthetic leg. Whether on the battlefield, or on the marathon track, this man continues to make India proud!