Cast: Rajinikanth, Radhika Apte, Dhansika, Winston Chao, John Vijay
Director: Pa. Ranjith
Producer: Kalaipuli S. Thanu
Claps: Need I say for whom? Of course it's the one and only 'Super Star Rajini'!
Slaps: Dragging narrative and the plot which fails to justify the larger than life persona of the 'Thalaivar'
A review for a Rajinikanth movie? You must be joking, man! He doesn't even need one.. Such is the craze for this man that his fans had queued up for an early morning show while some had the perfect excuse to skip office today-
However we still went forward with our ritual and here's what went in my mind while watching this gangster flick-
1. The opening credits are rolling..wait I just read 'Super star Rajini'! OMG, I can't wait to see him on screen.
2. Woah! Even the Malaysian police is scared of Kabali aka Rajinikanth and are discussing about a possibility of a gang-war if he is freed from the prison.
3. The first glimpse of 'K-A-B-A-L-I
4. #ThatSwag. Enough said.
5. His full name is Kabaleeshwaran. #JustFound
6. He crashed his expensive car into a pet shop! *rubs eyes in disbelief*
7.Hindi filmon mein kaala til, badi badi mucchein, lungi pehne huye ko Amrish Puri “Oye Kabali” - aise bulaate hi sar jhukaa kar “Jee maalik” bol kar khada ho jaata hai…aisa Kabali samjah hai kya? *whistlepodu*
8. That goon is wearing too much gold. Bappi Da's got some serious competition here!
9. Just learnt how to cook a fish.
10. Ever heard a girl named Yogi?
11. Oh no, she has been hired to kill our man!
12. Home sweet home for Kabali
13. LOL, he is hallucinating that his dead wife, a pregnant Rupadevi (Radhika Apte) is welcoming him a la Tulsi Virani style.
14. Kabali is a man with a heart of gold! So obvious that.
15. He is running a rehab center called 'Free Life Foundation' #DesiRobinhood
16. A drug addict girl just called him 'Papa'. Wait, where is this going...
17. Some one asked him about his dead wife and how he became a gangster! Isse kehte hai dukhti rag pe haath rakhna
18. The return of the flashback
19. How Kabali met Rupadevi!
20. Kyunki Kabali bhi kabhi ek aam insaan tha
21. The rise of Kabali
22. Meet Kabali's rivals- Tony Lee and Jeeva. By the way their gang is named '33'! (Someone please tell me why!)
23. REVEALED- How Rupadevi was killed! Just knew it from the beginning though
24. Flashback ends.
25. Kabali gets a clue that his daughter is alive! #twist
26. What the f*ck! Yogi is Kabali's daughter
27. It's raining bullets and Yogi in a heroic way rescues her father from the shoot-out. That expression on Kabali's face! #priceless
28. SOMEONE SHOT KABALI!
29. Rajini-kant die. Period.
30. The makers drop a bomb- Mommy Rupa is alive too and stays in Tamil Nadu in India
31. Time for Mission 'Bring Back Rupadevi Home'
32. Sir Rajini/ Kabali steps on the Indian soil for the first time. #Welcome
33. Tamil Nadu trip goes waste! No Rupa there.
34. Someone tells them that a French woman took her to Pondicherry for household help.
35. Kabali is jittery over meeting his wifey dearest after a long time. #SleeplessNights
36. The moment finally arrives when Kabali is reunited with his lost wife! *sheds tears of happiness*
37. Flowing champagne and a mandatory song
38. Sorry Kabali, even the goons are aware of your hide-out!
39. Kabali and family back in Malaysia. What's going on bro?
40. Final Showdown.
41. Woah! Kicks and punches in the air. Guns reloaded! Sorry, we won't tell you what happens next.. *Kabali theme playing in the background*
42. That building looks amazing though.
43. 'Free Life Bakery'..like seriously dude?
44. WHAT JUST HAPPENED, BRO? #TheNationWantsToKnow
45. *exits the cinema hall with mixed feelings*
Verdict: We give 'Kabali' CLAPS for Rajinikanth despite of the film failing to live up to all the hype and expectations. Minus the superstar and all that remains in the film is something that we have all seen umpteen number of times on screen. Further the film drags at unnecessarily places and ultimately it's the man himself who turns savior for this sinking ship! 'Bahut Khoob' Not.