This versatile personality needs no introduction. Truly a legend and an inspiration for many, Kishore Kumar or 'Kishore da' as lovingly called, was an all-rounder. Right from acting, singing, writing to directing, the maverick did it all.
Born in a Bengali Ganguly family in Madhya Pradesh, his original name was Abbas Kumar Ganguly. His father was a lawyer and his mother belonged to a wealthy Bengali family.
On his 86th birth anniversary we bring you 7 interesting facts about the legendary star-
1. Kishore Kumar was a loner. In fact in an old interview he revealed that he had no friends and instead preferred talking to trees.
2. It was S.D Burman who first identified Kishore's inner talent of playback singing. During the making of the film 'Mashaal', Burman told him that instead of imitating the legendary singer K.L Saigal he should develop his own style.
3. He had refused to do playback singing for Amitabh Bachchan after the latter refused to be a part of a film that was being produced by him. However later the two reconciliated and Kishore sang for him in 'Toofan'.
4. Kishore had loaned Satyajit Ray five thousand rupees at the time of 'Pather Panchali' when he was in a great financial difficulty.
5. Intially he was supposed to star in Hrishikesh Mukherjee's cult film 'Anand'. However he couldn't be a part of the film due to some misunderstanding.
6. Troubled by Kishore Kumar's funny antics, a film director apparently once went to court to get a verdict that the singer will have to follow his orders. But little did he know who he was messing up with. Kishore da obeyed all the instructions given by the director. During a shot, he refused to get out of his car until the director ordered him to do so. In fact, during shooting for a car scene for the same film, he drove until he reached Khandala as the director forgot to say 'cut'.
7. It is said that Kishore da never enjoyed media attention and hated giving interviews. Some reports even say that his living room had skulls and bones with red lights and sounds backing them up to shoo away unwanted visitors!