"Amrish is my favorite villain. The best the world has ever produced and ever will!"
Today, on his Birth Anniversary, let us remember that man with a tall height, brooding shoulders, heavy voice and large eyes who not only made us hate him every time he played a villain on-screen, but also made us fall in love with his versatility every time he played a positive character- the Late Amrish Puri.
Here are some amazing facts about the respected actor, along with dialogues and characters that were made iconic by him.
1. Amrish Puri was born in Nawanshahr and graduated from B.M College in Shimla. Following the footsteps of his elder brothers Chaman Puri and Madan Puri, he came to Mumbai to star in Hindi films.
2. He got rejected in his first screen test and worked at a government office (Employees’ State Insurance Corporation) for 21 years.
3. He did theatre dramas under Pt.Satyadev Dubey and Girish Karnad while he was working at the insurance company and even won the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award.
4. He made his film debut at the age of 40 with the Marathi film ‘Shantata! Court Chalu Aahe’ along with veteran actor Amol Palekar.
5. He acted in more than 400 films, having worked in Hindi, Marathi, Kannada, Punjabi, Telegu, Tamil, Malayalam and Hollywood films.
6. Amrish Puri gained an iconic status for playing villain in several movies.
7. He was also appreciated for his positive on-screen roles.
8. He died on 12th January, 2005 due to brain haemorrhage.
It has been 10 years since the legendary actor passed away. We miss him and his presence in our movies! But we surely do know that somewhere in heaven, the pigeons are still having a great time!