One of the best known and most well-respected playback singers in India, Lata Mangeshkar has lent her voice to several hit B-town songs and made our nation proud in her career spanning over seven decades.
Born in a Marathi-speaking Gomantak Maratha family in Indore she was named as 'Hema' at her birth but her parents later renamed her as Lata after a female character, Latika, in one of her father's plays, 'Bhaav Bandhan'.
On her birthday today we bring you 6 unknown facts about this 'Nightingale Of India'-
1. Lata hated the arc lights, make-up and beauty salons! The only time she agreed to trim her hair and eyebrows was for the film 'Pahili Mangalagaur'. When she glanced in the mirror after that, she’s known to have broken down!
2. She is afraid of flying. When French Government bestowed the prestigious “Legion d’honeur” award on her in 2006, she requested them to present the award to her in Mumbai!
3. There is a perfume named after this living legend. 'Lata Eau de Parfum' is a heady mix of 78 essences with fragrances ranging from earthy sandalwood and musk to wild roses, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. She even composed music for several Marathi films under the pseudonym 'Anand Ghan'.
5. The Royal Albert Hall, London has recorded the graph of her voice with the help of a computer which is by far the 'Most Perfect' in the World.
6. It may sound a bit strange but she reportedly eats chillies to keep her voice melodious!