She is a timeless beauty who fought all odds and emerged as a winner. Born as Bhanurekha Gemini Ganeshan she is the child of the popular Tamil actor while her mother was the Telugu actress Pushpavalli.
Rekha first made her acting debut in a Telugu film 'Rangula Ratnam' along with her mother which was subsequently re-made and released in Hindi as 'Rangila Ratan' in 1976. This was followed by a few Telugu and Kannada films before she got her first big break in Bollywood- 'Sawan Bhadon' opposite Navin Nischol in 1970 under the screen name 'Rekha'. However the actress received flak for her weight, dusky complexion and inability to speak Hindi Thus she started practising yoga, shed those extra pounds, learnt Hindi and dancing, and underwent a complete makeover. Since then there was no looking back for her. Rekha went on to star in several super hit films like 'Nagin', 'Muqaddar Ka Sikandar', 'Mr. Natwarlal', 'Khubsoorat', 'Umrao Jaan', 'Khoon Bhari Maang' amongst others.
On her 61st birthday today we bring you some lesser known about this gorgeous lady-
1. Rekha always dreamt of travelling around the world and that's why she wanted to become an airhostess. However unfortunately she was rejected due to her young age.
2. She is good at mimicry and had dubbed for Neetu Singh in 'Yaarana' and Smita Patil in 'Waaris'.
3. Rekha was a huge fan of Jeetendra and Mumtaz. It is said that she loved Mumtaz's dance and used to imitate her acting skills in front of mirror.
4. The stunning actress loves to unwind herself with comics especially Archies and Dennis The Mennis.
5. She is known to have learnt make up techniques in London and is one of the few stars who does her own make up.
6. During the shoot of 'Muqaddar Ka Sikandar' Rekha was scolded by Big B for not remembering the dialogues and was warned to learn it in her house and then come to the sets.